What mother and son team served as royalty?-RON AND MILLIE KEOUGH (FATHER GENE KEOUGH WAS KING IN '76)
- What was the first incorporated village in the ADIRONDACKS? (SARANAC LAKE,1892)
- Where was the first national bank in the ADIRONDACKS? (ADIRONDACK NATIONAL BANK)
- Who established the first phone service in SARANAC LAKE?
- What two SARANAC LAKE hospitals co-existed in 1914?(GENERAL HOSPITAL OF SARANAC LAKE and RECEPTION HOSPITAL)
- What three newspapers were circulating in SARANAC LAKE in 1918?(THE ENTERPRISE,THE ITEM and THE SARANAC LAKE NEWS)
- In 1920 two theaters vied for local viewers. Name them.(PONTIAC THEATER,COLONIAL THEATER)
- Why is Academy Street so-named?(SLHS WAS ONCE LOCATED THERE)
- What dairy once occupied the SARANAC LAKE GOLF COURSE?(MEADOWBROOK FARMS)
- Where was BLOODS HOTEL?(AT THE PRESENT SITE OF RIVERSIDE PARK. LATER CALLED THE RIVERSIDE HOTEL)
- Who killed bartender and owner, GEORGE BERKLEY?(CHARLIE BROWN,1888)
- What was NOAH RONDEAU'S occupation before becoming a hermit?-- HE WAS A BARBER
- What company did his father work for?--JJ ROGERS
- Where is NOAH buried?--N. ELBA CEMETERY
- What did NOAH call the kettle of unidentified ingredients he always kept boiling on his makeshift range?--EVERLASTING SLAM BANG STEW
- What did he call the structure he resided in?--THE COLD BROOK TOWN HALL (POPULATION ONE)
- What river did he use for his refrigerator?--COLD RIVER
- Who was THE HERMIT OF AMPERSAND MOUNTAIN?--WALTER RICE
- What was OLD MOUNTAIN PHELPS' real name?--ORSON
- Where was "ADIRONDACK HARRY" RADFORD born?--NY CITY
- How did "ADIRONDACK HARRY" meet his demise?--KILLED BY AN ANGRY ANUIT ESKIMO
10/26 The Saturday night gang,Donnie and Annie Fina, Marge Lamy, Kay and Marv Best
are the first in with all the answers on the hermit quiz!! Marv solved the last question when he recalled stumbling onto a monument on Ampersand Mountain. It didn't seem significant to him at the time but he stored the name away in a file in his mind
to be opened when needed. That's one of the secrets of a true trivia buff. The other is to be real stubborn.
- What is the oldest restaurant in Saranac Lake?-- THE BELVEDERE
- The oldest insurance company?-- C.J. AYERS
- The oldest hotel? HOTEL SARANAC
- The oldest pharmacy?-- POST OFFICE PHARMACY
- Where is "Peck's Corners"?-- CROSSING AT ROUTE 86 AND CR 47(old Lake Colby Rd)
- What is Meagher Lake/Pine Pond now known as?-- MOODY POND
- What famous building was the Harrietstown Town Hall patterned after?-- PHILADELPHIA TOWN HALL
- Name one local stagecoach driver from the 1800's who's name still carries on?-- TUFFIELD LaTOUR
- How many islands are there on Lower Saranac Lake?-- 52
- What year did the village manager form of government begin in Saranac Lake?-- 1929
How many of you remember the buildings that were located along River Street before the road was widened?
Name at least twenty of the residences and businesses which once lined the lake.
ANSWERS TO RIVER STREET QUIZ!!
The first four sets of answers sent in were from:
- Mike's Garage
- Gladd and Leaper
- Miner's Garage
- Thomas Boat Lines
- Tyson's Diner
- Brewster's Garage
- Marty's Store and Diner
- Martell's Garage
- Lakeview Bar and Grill
- Donnelly's Grocery
- Fina residence
- Lamy residence
- Cole residence
- Reibel's Cottages
- Lavery's Garage
- Beardsley Apartments
- Lakeside Garage
- Charlie Keough's Marina
- Gero's Upholstery
- McNamara's Dry Cleaning
- Frank Hicks' Fix It Shop
- Eldred Gauthier house
- Web's Liguor Store
- Terry Carters house
- Gladys Heath's house
- Doris Landry's house
- Delancett's Garage
- Chabbot's Grocery
- Laura's Diner
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR GREAT MEMORIES,GUYS!!
- JOEL AND SUSAN GARWOOD
- MURIEL AND STEVE PAYE
- THE SATURDAY NIGHT GANG
- KATHY MUNN
HERE'S A QUIZ FOR YOU OLD TIMERS WITH GOOD MEMORIES. IT WAS SENT IN BY RICH EMPEROR! THE ANSWERS ARE BELOW.
- Can anyone name the prominent S.L. physician who's waiting room in Church Street offices was lined with glass cases of stuffed song birds of all types?
- Can anyone name the final carol sung in the 50's when the SLHS Glee Club went Christmas Caroling and why?
- Anyone recall why there was a live "Billy Goat" up on Lake Street in 50's?
- Anyone remember the Saranac Laker who kept a live cougar as a house pet?
- Anyone recall the Saranac Lake family who were a bit over the top for cats. Their home had a room for cats, with bunk beds, high chairs for maids feeding, etc. Also the monument base may still be in the back yard marking the burial site of a favorite cat named Rat who was laid to rest in a coffin with ceremony.
O.K. HERE ARE THE ANSWERS TO RICH EMPERORS QUIZ!!
- Dr. Charles C. Trembley
- Last stop was Camp Intermission and the carol for Mrs. William Morris was "No Business Like Show Business"
- Mascot for football team at Eagle's Nest
- C. Quesnel
- the C. M. Palmers